This holiday season, the best gift you can give your child is a good education. And the best place to get that education is in school. Every day. On time.
• Every year, absences spike in the weeks before and after winter break. It’s time to break that cycle.
• We know it’s tempting to extend your vacation by a few days on either side of the holiday.
• We recognize that holidays are an important time for reconnecting with families far away and exposing your children to your home and language, whether you grew up in another part of the United States or a different country. The costs of plane tickets often influence when you want to travel. But keep in mind the costs to your children’s education if they miss too much school.
• Just a few missed days here and there, even if they’re excused absences, can add up to too much lost learning time and put your child behind in school. This is as true in kindergarten as it is in high school.
• So make sure your child is in school every day, right up until vacation starts. Our teachers will be teaching, and our students will be learning. But it’s harder to teach and it’s harder to learn when too many students are absent.
• If missing school is unavoidable, talk to your children’s teachers in advance to create a plan for making up missed work. But remember, a homework packet cannot make up for the interaction and learning that goes on in the classroom.
• So give your child the gift of attendance and help build a habit of attendance.