English Learner Program
English learner students represent approximately 20% of the total student population in the Romoland School District. As a district we are committed to closing the achievement gap for English learner students by providing current, research based curriculum design that focuses on effective pedagogy, practices, and high standards. Additionally, we are committed to providing a multi-tiered system of intervention and support designed to meet the needs of our students.
The District English Language Advisory Committee (DELAC) is comprised of a majority of parents/guardians of English learner students that advise the district in the following areas:
- The development or revision of the district English Learner Reclassification System
- Conducting an annual district-wide needs assessment
- Programs, goals, services to support English learner students
- Review and comment on the district's English learner reclassification criteria
- Review and comment on written notifications required to be sent to parent/guardian
The English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) Initial is given as an initial assessment to newly enrolled students whose primary language is not English. The ELPAC Initial has three primary purposes:
- Identify students who are limited English proficient
- To determine the level of English language proficiency for students who are limited English proficient
- To assess the progress of limited English proficient students in acquiring the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing English
The English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) Summative is given to Englisher learner students enrolled in transitional kindergarten through grade eight. The district testing window is February-May each school year. More information on the ELPAC can be accessed by clicking on the ELPAC Resources links on the right side of this page. The purpose of the ELPAC Summative is to assess annual student progress in acquiring English listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills.